Monday, December 3, 2012

Paris, je t'aime.

Ahh, wanderlust. Always creeping in and making me wish I was somewhere far, far away. Specifically, 4000 miles away in the City of Lights. I'm talking Paris, people! It's been a dream of mine to go to France since I was a wittle kiddie, and seven years of French classes have only added fuel to the fire.

What is it about Paris that pulls on my heartstrings? I don't know why I have such a connection to this place I've never been to before, but ask me where I would go if I could go anywhere in the world, and the answer will always be, "Paris." The entire French culture is beautiful, but in a relaxed, subdued way. Parisian chic is easy elegance, something that comes naturally to those lucky enough to be native Parisians. This post is dedicated to all of my favorite things French, so click on the jump and allons-y!


Before we begin, here's a French language lesson for you. I stumbled on this video and thought it was a great little primer for basic French vocabulary, not to mention how charming it is! French is such a beautiful language, but unfortunately, I often forget years of French lessons and only remember the elementary stuff. I will speak like a native Frenchwoman eventually, I promise!


When I really feel like getting in the French mood, it's as easy as listening to some great French music, or watching a French film. Right now, I've got Charles Aznavour and Édith Piaf on repeat. Yesterday, I watched "La Belle Personne" for the second time, and it's such a wonderful film, very quiet, but very powerful. And did I mention the beauty that is Léa Seydoux? Louis Garrel isn't bad either, ha ha. For a less melancholy movie-going experience, I would suggest "Midnight in Paris" (also featuring the fabulous Ms. Seydoux!). Yes, yes, I know it isn't technically a "French film," but it really encapsulates the magic of Paris.


French style is on a plane of its own. Generations of women have tried to capture that je ne said quoi, but French women get it right because they don't try so hard. While they radiate sophistication and grace, French women don't require every hair to be in place. This article, from FabSugar, gives plenty of French style inspiration from their 11 style icons. Below is my favorite, Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, daughter of former Vogue Paris editor-in-chief Corinne Roitfeld.


And voila, below is my Parisian style collage, created on what has become my newly rediscovered favorite website, Polyvore. Click on the collage to find out where to find all of these beautiful finds.

Parisian Chic

Parisian Chic by atrpcevski3 featuring crepe pants

So, that's all for this Parisian-inspired post. No trips planned any time soon, but until I step foot in La Ville-Lumière, je rêve de Paris. Have you ever been to Paris? Is there a city you're absolutely dying to visit? Leave comments below! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment